Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Funny Money, anyone??

So I found a counterfeit $10.00 bill at work today.  I have no idea how long it's been there, or where it came from, but I did the right thing and got it off the streets.  I called the local PD and they sent out the nicest police officer (they do existed). 


This funny money was so obvious it wasn't even funny, well, ok, it was a little funny. 
 
It felt real enough, like a true bill should but that was about it.  The first thing I noticed was that the color looked a little off and I could see right through the bill.  Some of the counterfeit deterrents were also missing, although in the better interest of protecting our US currency from the "not so bright and creative", I won't share which were missing.  
Then the obvious of obvious was staring me right in the face...



 No, it wasn't the brown line from my counterfeit marker, that came later... its the green "Department of Treasury" seal printed upon the word "TEN", on the right side of the president's head.




 Now, I'm  not the "support your government no matter what" type of person (that's a major understatement) but I will admit when Uncle Sam and friends manage to do things correctly, like printing money.  

Oh sure, they've made their fair share of errors, like...

The double-die 1955 wheat penny...
                            

 Or this 
broad-strike Barber Half-Dollar...
Images courtesy of Byers Numismatic Corp


Or even this dandy little boo-boo...

Images courtesy of Byers Numismatic Corp
Oops!!  Just a little off-center there, fellas.


 Now, the counterfeit bill I found isn't THAT extreme, but it had something that even a 2nd grader would have caught right off the bat, and especially by the boys and girls working the mint's QC sectors.  You see, the printers at the mint are quite capable of blotting their plates before a final press so that the US Treasury Department's official "seal" is flawless, after all, without a legible (IE: "believable")  seal, it is not official.  Any bill with an unreadable seal would not have made it out the building.  

This funny money had the most ink-soaked seal I have even seen on any currency of any country.  I could not read it at all, but I don't want to be hasty so... to give credit where credit is most certainly deserved...
It was a pathetic job done by a pathetic person.  

I only wish I had taken a close-up shot of the seal before the police came to confiscate the bill - we'd all have a roaring laugh, together.  I truly hope the cops catch the dumb-ass(es)... and since they already have experience in print pressing (ett-hmm)...  

they can make our frickin' license plates.  

 
This is DaCanon... blasting off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha think?